Span (1)

In the past several months, Ingrid has asked me a few dozen times for a name for that stretch of skin between her thumb and forefinger. I don't know one, but I don't think she believes me. Three days ago, she held hers up and said, This is the bridge of my hand.

The ear—which (Did you notice?) is shaped like Alaska—also has a bridge: that curved rim inside. And the thing under your tongue, too, the thing that holds your tongue down. That’s the bridge of your mouth.


  1. I like it. It looks like a bridge, too.

  2. hahahahah

    smart girl!

    i have actually heard it referred to as "webbing". however, according to the link below, it is called "purlicue". i like bridge better, though. :-)